Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Diabetes Blog Week - Day 3

Today’s blog topic is your biggest supporter.

My mom has always been a great supporter. I was diagnosed when I was 4, so she was always the one to take care of me from day 1. She checked my bloodsugar and gave me my insulin shots before I learned to do those things myself. She managed my diet and made sure I was doing well. Many nights, she was the one to wake up at 4am to check my bloodsugar, and she would come running when my older sister would yell for my parents if I was low in the middle of the night. (not that I really remember those moments! And, to clarify, my dad would come running too… but I think it was usually mom who would make it up the stairs first.) Here's a picture of my mom and I at my baptism (before the big D). I'm pretty sure my dad took this photo.
My entire family has always given me fantastic support. As I already mentioned, it was my older sister who would sound the alarm when I’d have a low over night. She also stole and ran away with a huge syringe of insulin that a babysitter once tried to give me while my parents were out at dinner one night. (Hello, lifesaver!)

Now that I’ve flown the nest, so to speak, my husband has been awesome. Though he and I don’t necessarily follow a recommended diet for someone like me, he does always remind me to “check my bloods,” encourages me to work out, and checks in to make sure my “bloods are ok.” (Oh, and the diet thing is not his fault! I like my refined carbs! But you’ll read more on that tomorrow…)

I know Mom was nervous when I went off to college, but she was relieved when we found out that my (random) freshman roommate, Maria, was an EMT. (Shout out time: Hey Maria!!) Then, I met up with fellow diabetics when I joined an on-campus organization called WHOOP (Women Helping Out Other People). In fact, it was because one of the co-chairs, Leah, had an insulin pump that I even decided to join WHOOP! Moving to another state for grad school was stressful because I didn’t know anyone out in California yet, so, when I moved in, Mom helped me teach my roommate what to do in case of a low. Then, a few weeks later, I taught a handful of my grad school friends (after I got to know them a little) though, thankfully, none of them ever had to use those skills. It really has been a group effort of all my family and friends. So, a big thank you is due to everyone I know who has helped me deal with this disease! But, special thanks to my family! Y’all are the best!


1 comments:

Anonymous,  May 21, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

It sounds like you have had good fortune with the various people that you have been surrounded by. That picture is beautiful. You both look so happy!

Followers